Author Topic: Tough week  (Read 10470 times)

UPSMAN

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
Tough week
« on: January 16, 2014, 03:41:32 pm »
Well not many posts so I guess I will try to keep some momentum alive. Been a tough week, I blew an o ring on a filter while testing and managed to spill 4 galls or so of wmo, what a mess.  My pump does not want to flow wmo at 35 deg and is not giving me the flow I need for the fuge so I have to rip apart my setup and redo with a bigger pump. Tried heating the oil but the pump is spinning too fast (direct drive) to pull oil reliably.  I have an old cessna pump that I may try to use.  I am concerned my woodpile is shrinking faster than the winter and I cannot go into the woods right now.

I did try to use a small 1000w tank coolant heater in my return line for some limited testing, zero start and it works just fine thank you, so I will file that away for later.  Shop is a mess and I oiled my clothes head to toe and sprayed oil on the walls, ceiling , floor, etc.  I think in the spring I will move my ops to a small trailer on site so if I make a mess it will not be in the shop.  Anyway, c'mon guys, post away tell us what you are doing, what works and does not for you.
LM
If it ain't burning then its not hot enuff!!

UPSMAN

• View Profile
Re: Tough week
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 03:58:48 pm »
I am curious about what others might be using for a centrifuge pump.  I have an OC  50.  My old pump is too large, it cavitates and when I slow it down cannot get enough pressure and flow, the small pump cavitates and wont make enough flow.  I am in the testing phase only and my oil is around 100F.  No money because of layoff so my options are very limited.  I know some use a sbc pump, but I have no access  I have this
.http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Pumps/32-GPM-Hydraulic-Gear-Pump/8375354.pcess.                                                  I have this   motor that i assume I can make into a pump.                                                                                                                    I have one of these   http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Pumps/32-GPM-Hydraulic-Gear-Pump/8375354.p
but it has not performed, it cavitates at 3500 rpm and does not get pressure high enuff at 1750.  Anyway, what are you guys using?

LM

UPSMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 04:25:55 pm »
I am curious about what others might be using for a centrifuge pump.  I have an OC  50.  My old pump is too large, it cavitates and when I slow it down cannot get enough pressure and flow, the small pump cavitates and wont make enough flow.  I am in the testing phase only and my oil is around 100F.  No money because of layoff so my options are very limited.  I know some use a sbc pump, but I have no access  I have this              http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Motors/058-cu-in-4-Bolt-Hydraulic-Gerotor-Motor/1220383.p                                   

I have this   motor that i assume I can make into a pump.

I have one of these pumps   http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Pumps/32-GPM-Hydraulic-Gear-Pump/8375354.p
but it has not performed, it cavitates at 3500 rpm and does not get pressure high enuff at 1750.  Anyway, what are you guys using?

LM

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 05:17:58 pm »
Hey I hear ya on the mess that oil can make.  I ended up with about that same amount on my garage floor.  Wow, what a  mess.  All I can say is floor dry is a life saver.

No centrifuge here so I cant comment on that.  Good luck in your endeavor.

UPSMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 06:50:23 pm »
 ::)

I am using sawdust which is mdf/particleboard for a floor dry and it works pretty good and I can sweep it up and burn it too boot!

I am Trying to do it now as I work all thru the summer (rv tech) so now is when I have free time.

The zero start tank heater has been a suprise it worked so well. I am only heating small test batch as the main batch will be heated with the oil fired water heater later.  I would like to prepare at least 150 galls before winter is over for long term storage.

I noticed on another site that the guy was using a 1.98 ci hydro pump,  that is huge compared to what I have, but I know some guys use a harbour freight water pump with some success, my local princess auto really has nothing like that.   I need 100 psi at 1 gpm minimum and be consistent.

Anyway looks like the weather is turning cold again. I will make some more sawdust logs using the sawdust and bottoms of wmo jugs and pack large cardboard tubes. Lasts several hours, good heat, no smoke.  I pack them good then leave a hole down the center to get a good burn.

I am thinking of relocating to an old trailer I have so as not to mess up the shop, will look at that this summer. 

My mix at this time for the shop is 25% rug to wmo or wvo (nice canola oil). Pump on the Beckett is about 150 psi with a .75 nozzel.  Flame fills the pot and I have a small piece of steel in the pot to absorb heat tand help with combustion.  Using just a standard general felt filter.  WVO is filtered once thru a fabric shopping bag filter after settling.  My wmo is filtered once thru a maple syrup sock bag filter.  No plugging of nozzel in 2.5 years.

Take care all and post!