Author Topic: I need ideas  (Read 11986 times)

dogg478_1902

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
I need ideas
« on: December 22, 2013, 12:53:57 pm »
I am working on building a big cooker out of a home oil tank laid on it's side with a cement block (possible firebrick lined) fire box with a large waste oil burner. Now what would be the best way to build the burner, I'm thinking I need to take one of the large pressure tanks I have and set it up to hold 10-20 gallons of waste oil and connect it to a compressor. I am not sure how to build the burner itself besides a nozzle and a blower of some kind. I want to be able to heat up 100-200 gallons of product in a reasonable period of time with as big of a burner as I can build or a pair of big burners and be able throttle down to a low boil. So let me hear what your thoughts are and what you think I could do for construction of my burner and pressure vessel.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: I need ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 10:03:41 pm »
Greetings dogg!

It always amazes me at the interesting needs for sources of heat.  I think you might be looking at something with a little more output than a home heating burner is going to provide.  Unfortunately I dont have any experience with anything like that, but maybe someone else can help out.

Best of luck with your project and if you start building, please share pictures.  I would love to see what you come up with.

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 08:24:38 pm »
I am working on building a big cooker out of a home oil tank laid on it's side with a cement block (possible firebrick lined) fire box with a large waste oil burner. Now what would be the best way to build the burner, I'm thinking I need to take one of the large pressure tanks I have and set it up to hold 10-20 gallons of waste oil and connect it to a compressor. I am not sure how to build the burner itself besides a nozzle and a blower of some kind. I want to be able to heat up 100-200 gallons of product in a reasonable period of time with as big of a burner as I can build or a pair of big burners and be able throttle down to a low boil. So let me hear what your thoughts are and what you think I could do for construction of my burner and pressure vessel.

How many BTU's are you looking at to make your cooker work?
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

dogg478_1902

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 05:50:45 pm »
 :o I'm not 100% sure but it looks like around 3-400,000 BTU's I'm kinda flying blind with the whole BTU requirements but I think that would sure cook up a big tub of product.

dogg478_1902

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 06:09:46 pm »
So does anyone have suggestions??? I found a bunch of old fire extinguishers I could use for either pressure tanks or holding tanks for oil, any thoughts on how to build a monster burner???

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 08:20:53 pm »
That's a lot of heat, unfortunately I don’t have any good ideas for you.  I have only had experience with home heating oil furnaces and they dont produce that kind of heat.

It's been a bit quiet on the forums this year, but maybe someone else will pop in and have an idea for you.

gold_dredger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 10:29:40 pm »
Hello! I just joined, and have been reading the posts, and thought I could help out a little here..... hop onto youtube and look up an oil burner called "The Brute". He uses wvo I think, but wmo would work also...... he melts an entire alternator sitting on a steel plate in front of the exit on the burner..... looks like it has enuf thrust to lift the shuttle ha ha... hope this helps you out...

michael