Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Building a metering pump  (Read 14256 times)

Russ

• Administrator
  • Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
Re: Building a metering pump
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 10:14:37 pm »
I finally had time to put the pieces together last weekend.  I wasnt sure how to mount the motor and pump so the shafts would line up for the couplers.  The only thing I could think of was to attach pieces of wood together with a thickness of the distance required between the pump and the motor.  3 pieces of plastic decking I had laying around plus a piece of 1/4" plywood did the job.  I used a drill press to get a perfect aligned hole all the way through the block.  Then I used a hole saw to make a perfect size hole for the pump.  I didnt have a size that matched the motor, so I had to go a little bigger on that side.  I fastened the pump first, then aligned the motor and fastened it.  In the end, it actually worked out pretty well.  I am testing right now, but will hopefully attach it to the burner soon.

Russ

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 10:03:53 pm »
Well the 3GN18SA gearhead ended up being too slow.  The 18:1 ratio is just too slow to provide enough oil.  I ended up finding a 3GN3KA gearhead and it is working great.  Added another $30 to my cost, but hopefully I can sell the other one.

doug

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 08:41:10 pm »
Russ,

Are you using your pump yet?
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

Russ

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 09:10:06 pm »
I dont actually have it connected to the burner yet.  It is sucking oil out of a 55 gal barrel and pumping it through a couple of filters and then into the holding tank for the boiler.

I think this gearhead is going to work perfect, so I hope to get it moved over soon.