Author Topic: Help with waste oil conversion???  (Read 18305 times)

reflectiveimagez

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Help with waste oil conversion???
« on: October 02, 2013, 09:21:27 pm »
Hello everyone... Tried altfuelfurance but it seems to be they are having some problems now and some post are getting lost. Anyway. i have a custom bodyshop and i cant afford thease oil prices anymore. each year i skimp more and thaw the place out in the am. i have a 140,000 btu oil furance with a beckett afb(i think afb) burner. I did see on the garagejournal forum of a more advanced one with 2 heat elements and lots of bells and whistels and it seemed to work really well. Does anyone have any good idea what works best for the money? it seems alot say ck burners for the heater block but i did she somewhere on here a guy talking about machining something better? I did see someone on ebay selling plans for a pressure system (said he never cleaned it from 2002 - but maybe he hasnt used it since 2002 lol) Thanks for any advice.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Help with waste oil conversion???
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 09:56:23 pm »
Greetings reflectiveimagez!

Glad you stopped by.  Yea, altfuelfurnace has lots of good information out there, but I think it is so difficult to find the information you are looking for.  That's why I started this forum.  Hopefully things are a little more organized and easier to search.  We dont have the years of history or all of the experienced people that hang out there, but hopefully we can help.

If you have a beckett burner, then you have a good candidate for a conversion.  I started out pressure for the cost savings, but ended up with a CK set up.  I am so much happier with the siphon system.  Should have saved my money and put it towards a CK system to begin with.  Just like the old saying goes... "Buy once, cry once". 

One of the forum members here had emailed me some pictures of some parts he bought a while back.  He was initially going to convert a beckett burner he had acquired, but then found a completed burner and went that way.  He has the burner, CK kit, air solenoid, PID, and a few other things.  He was short just a couple of things.  You could assemble the parts and have yourself a whole complete burner to swap out for your stock one if you would want.  If you are interested, let me know and I can pass the info along if he still has the parts.  The price was reasonable if I remember right.

Doug has a good post of his boiler conversion.  I also have some pics of mine.  If you have trouble finding them on the forum, let me know and I can post the links.

Good luck with your project.  Have fun and be safe!

Russ

reflectiveimagez

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 10:08:48 pm »
Thanks! Please let me know. i have the whole furance. i was going to start buying the stuff today but didnt. i did see the guy that was big on garage journal had 2 pid controllers. have a heated sphion tank that he said helped alot. I been doing a bunch of ebaying and really found some decent prices on alot. planned on having to get the ck heater block direct tho. Please pass the info along. trying to get the ball rolling before cold comes. the alt fuel furance fourm had me more than confused. not even sure how i found this place but maybe it would be a golden egg i need lol... The guy that had the best conversion ill find the link and send it. also added a return line and some other features and never really had issues. thanks!

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 08:55:09 am »
Reflectiveimages,
 Welcome to the site. I will be going on my 4th season this year using a siphon system. The heating block from ckBurner is a good unit.
 One of the reasons I built my system was because of the guy from garagejournal. With help from his post, ckBurner, altfuelfurnace, this site and the net I've had good luck burning used oil.
 One question I like to ask anyone building a waste oil furnace is how much oil do you have access to? Used oil is getting harder to find. More places that generate used oil are selling it to off set there cost. I spend most of the year tying to collect enough used oil to get through the heating season.
 Good luck on your build. Please ask questions we will try to help.

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

doug
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 08:57:08 am by doug »
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

reflectiveimagez

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 09:47:42 am »
thanks, i have a bodyshop and do our own oil changes, know a few people that have shops.... trying to get more quality than quanity lol.. i think i should be ok with oil supply. Thanks so much sounds like we looked at the same guy on garage journal looks the way to go.. Waiting to head about parts guy had for sale and hopefully start soon thanks!

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 12:32:22 pm »
Here is the info from the guy I was talking about:

electrodes
beckett genisys primary
guages
retention head
pid controller
relay
solenoid
nozzle

I never completed my project as i found a complete waste oil heater.

i also have a second new never used ck burner nozzle holder/preheater without nozzle and heating element i would sell seperate.

I am waiting on hearing back.  If he still has it, I will email you the info.

reflectiveimagez

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 10:48:17 pm »
Thanks again let me know if you hear anything

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 02:31:12 pm »
Havent heard anything back.  I will email you the info.

reflectiveimagez

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 08:24:11 pm »
Thanks russ left message no responce :( ill give it another day or so thanks

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 08:04:06 pm »
Any luck on getting the parts from him?

reflectiveimagez

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 09:26:18 pm »
hi everyone! Russ i have been in contact with him but its been phone tag. he sold 1 part of it allready waiting to hear back from him again. Anyway odd ball question... My buddy i think has access to a Renzor waste oil burner with the electric air compressor. his heater was smashed but everything else was fine... Only probley is its like 350k unit. My furance is only 140btu... First i was like maybe this sounds like a good idea. then next thought was it would melt the furance. I wonder if there would be a way to detune it?  Thanks! i will keep you posted and do pictures and write up when i start. thanks

reflectiveimagez

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 09:18:59 am »
Update think im going to do the ck burner kit setup with dual pids,ect. the other burner is like 600.00 plus the pump. and would probley be over kill. found some deals think this idea will work just fine. plus my friend does oil furances for a living so will swing by for setup :)

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 09:34:59 pm »
Sounds like a plan.  Cant wait to see what you put together.  Keep us updated!