Author Topic: Brewer from New Zealand  (Read 7839 times)

jafa

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Brewer from New Zealand
« on: August 04, 2013, 05:52:25 pm »
I was just introduced to waste oil burners yesterday from a friend who just built one in his workshop to keep him warm while he is brewing (beer).

Seriously got me to thinking about it and it could be incorporated into the brewery for heating hot water and controlling the mash temperature.  Not to mention heating the workshop and house with warm air.  Maybe even a turbine on the chimney stack to power the beer fridge...  Maybe even duct warm air through the cured meat cabinet...  The options seem endless!

Anyway, I know very little about the subject but looking forward to learning and have the whole spring and summer to build an alternate source of heat for the house - along with making some awesome beers along the way! 

I appologise now for all the questions I am about to ask :)

Liam

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Brewer from New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 09:40:11 pm »
Greetings Liam!

Glad you stopped by.  Hope you can benefit from the information we have collected over the few years this forum has been running. 

Things slow down a bit with us north of the equator, but things pick up a little as we turn colder.

Whats the weather like for you now?

Have fun and stay safe if you decide to build!

jafa

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 10:24:48 pm »
Thanks Russ!

Weather is warming up again now, on the spring side of winter.  It doesn't get too cold in Auckland, at least where we live.  Generally never gets below 7 degrees and has sat around 10-15 degrees all winter.  Cool enough to warrant heating but not enough to cause issues with oil.  Been in short sleaves most winter this year which is neat.

Safety first mate, or a very close second :p

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 06:56:12 pm »

Wecome Jafa,

That all sounds do able.

My question is how much waste oil do you have access to.

Good luck, please let us know about your progess.
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0