Author Topic: Which is the best, simplest type of waste oil burner?  (Read 12195 times)

quat-fro

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Which is the best, simplest type of waste oil burner?
« on: February 06, 2013, 06:44:11 am »
Hi folks,

Like many of you, I've been browsing sites such as this and youtube trying to better understand and replicate my own waste oil burner.

Thing is though, there are a dozen different ways of doing this and I can't be bothered to build them all and do comprehensive trials!

So, my question is this...

Which is the most effective self draughting waste oil burner, for the purposes of heating and why?

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
Re: Which is the best, simplest type of waste oil burner?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 12:47:09 pm »
Quat-fro,

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here. Now I'm going to give you a hard time. You said,  "I can't be bothered to build them all and do comprehensive trials!". So you expect the members of this forum to decide what best fits your needs and wants of a waste oil heater and also know your skill level to build such a heater. I think you need to do some homework yourself and it will take time to understand what your needs are and what you want from a waste oil heater. If you don't understand some thing in your search, then please ask questions. I believe the members here will be able to help you. Don't give up on heating with waste oil there are a lot of different style and everybody makes there's a little different.

You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

quat-fro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 01:31:17 pm »
Hi doug!

Skill, not a problem.
Materials - not a problem.
Source of waste oil - not a problem.

Time - A little more limited!

From what I've seen, the motherearths seems very simple and the principle seems very sound though I've read so people saying that it's a soot generating machine so if nothing else, I'd appreciate a guiding hand as to which path to tread.

I'd like to generate heat enough to warm a 5m x 3m room with ease but with a heating 'unit' suitably compact that it could be half inserted into a typical British coal fireplace opening.

How's that for a start?

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 06:57:02 pm »
Hello Quat-fro,

Thanks for stopping by.  Hope the site can be some value to you in deciding what kind of heater you want to pursue.

You listed skill, materials, and source of waste oil, but you forgot an important one, money!  ;)

Have you decided on a drip style for sure, or are you open to a pressure or siphon furnace conversion?

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 07:10:40 pm »
Search this site for the "Roger Sanders Heater" it's like the Mother Earth News heater. Not sure about hooking it up to a fireplace.
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

geck0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 08:02:47 am »
I love my roger sanders set up (minus the soot). In a 5m x 3m garage  you will actually have too much heat unless you run it on low... however this may also help to avoid the soot issue