Author Topic: how should i filter my oil  (Read 23597 times)

koolkris

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - koolistdude
    • View Profile
how should i filter my oil
« on: February 03, 2009, 12:02:49 pm »
just wanting to get some tips on what kind of filtering process i should do to burn wmo in a oil furnace (beckett burner)
would love to hear from you guys that have working systems and what filtering steps you do

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: how should i filter my oil
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 10:44:47 pm »
First off I was thinking of filtering the oil with a 5 gallon bucket filter a friend showed me.  I see they are available on ebay.  Just search for "bucket filter".  I see one guy selling a 4 pack.  You can mix and match sizes, 100, 200, 400, and 600 micron sizes.  They would help get the big stuff out.

Then was thinking of using a filter relocation mount like the one pictured below.  Not sure if one filter or two is the way to go?  I was thinking of using 2.  I found several different kinds on ebay.

Now this is all just waste oil flowing through pipes in my dreams, so others with experience can chime in here and let us know what is the best.

Thanks!

snicks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 10:43:45 pm »
 I use a Buyers Return Line Filter ( http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_12006_12006 ) you can get them here with the base for $13.99 and after that filter i use a fuel tank filter that you can get at fleet farm. The kind of filter that you would use on a gas or diesel bulk tank(it has a build in water trap also). And on my oil fill side of the tank i use a very fine screen.  ( i have a 800 gallon fuel oil tank i use for may waste oil fuel tank. I took a metal 5 gallon bucket and brazed a fitting on it to screw in to the top of the tank that is were i have my fine screen to fill the tank)

Let me know if you need any more info

koolkris

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - koolistdude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 08:20:37 am »
has anyone tried using a centrifuge to clean oil? they look very interesting to me without the different filter stages???

http://www.pabiodieselsupply.com/youtube.html

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 09:47:07 pm »
Kooklkris,

That is an interesting setup.  Will have to research it that a bit more.  I received my 5 gallon bucket strainers today.  I will let you know how they work.  Hopefully the filter mount will be here tomorrow.  Then I have to find a cartridge heater, thermostat control, and see if I can get the block made.  Man, at the rate I'm going, I wont need heat when this thing is finished!

meer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 10:46:41 am »
has anyone tried using a centrifuge to clean oil? they look very interesting to me without the different filter stages???

http://www.pabiodieselsupply.com/youtube.html

BUMP, has any tried these centrifuges?  Some feedback would be great.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 09:22:52 pm »
Havent tried a centrifuge myself.  I have found that screening for the big stuff and filtering for the small stuff has worked well for me.  A siphon system is much more tolerant than a pressure system when it comes to filtering.  Since switching to a syphon system, I have had really good luck.