Author Topic: Hav a MEN style 40gal drip furnace with sanders conical burner...but the SOOT!!!  (Read 13188 times)

geck0

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
I've been tweaking the 40 gallon drip style furnace I've had for the past 3 years, and as for heat output A+++++ as for soot...F- ! I filter the motor oil with a gravity feed 5 gallon hydraulic filter set up and a second time inline to the furnace using a automotive fuel filter. I'm getting (when almost at full feed) well over 1000 degrees (my infared thermo maxes out at 999) but after all the filtering and all the heat (using a burning dish I made out of 1/2 plate steel tappered to a dish with 3/8 lip welded on) my soot output is unbearable. I'm debating on going to the Ozzirt design but fear it may be a waste of effort and i'd be back at square one. Any help would be great! BTW HI I'm new!

It gets the stove shell at flame height glowing red at almost wide open feed (I don't go wide open for fear of melting the tank shell)

burn dish

furnace at 3/4 feed

luckynumber5

• View Profile
We converted from this style to an Ozzirt style for this reason. Your mixture is running rich, try running at a much lower drip rate so you can get a longer (more complete) burn. Even though the heater is running hot it is probably wasting a third of the fuel that you are trying to burn. A slower burn will generate a decent amount of heat and much, much less soot. The only time you should have any soot generation is when it is cold :)

geck0

• View Profile
Does the ozzirt style create as much heat? I get why its more effective burning but I fig it may be more heat out the stack

luckynumber5

• View Profile
Heres where it gets tricky. Yes and no, the Ozzirt design is more efficient around 300-500 degrees but that is really it. Above that the oil seems to vaporize too quickly and burn too short to fully burn and thats with either design. I am going to modify our heater at some point and properly seal the bottom chamber and add more air holes to the secondary burn chamber. You need a hot lower chamber with little oxygen, and as much oxygen as you can get in the second chamber and if your design works out well I would say 600+ degrees should be no problem and produce very little soot.

My heater uses a 50 gallon water heater as the main body/heat exchanger, a piece of 10" cast iron plumbing pipe as a secondary burner and a cheap dutch oven as a primary. The exhaust is 8" stove pipe from Lowes and there is a lot of it in the shop (12 foot ceiling) so there is a lot of area for heat exchange.

Here is a pic of the heater please pardon the mess around it, its as bad as it looks lol

geck0

• View Profile
it seems the other negative is you would seem to have to need a torch to heat the ozzirt every time you start it? I've been using shredded cardboard and a small amout (1/2) of kerosene in the sanders style (which is a very easy way to start it)

luckynumber5

• View Profile
No torch, we use a little lighter fluid and oil mixed and it gets moving pretty easy.

geck0

• View Profile
oh i wouldn't have figured that!