Author Topic: pressure system  (Read 24741 times)

tim

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
pressure system
« on: December 05, 2012, 06:16:50 am »
saw old post from russ on your pressure system you ran before the new boiler. wondered how you liked it and how you hooked your pid controller to nozzle heater, also where you got your heater, ive got all my parts except for nozzle i will be building. thanks!

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: pressure system
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 09:37:31 pm »
Welcome Tim, glad you joined the forum!

As you may have read elsewhere, the pressure system was easy to do, although it isn't the optimal situation for burning waste oil.  When my furnace lit, it would provide great heat.  The waste oil burns nice and hot!  The problem with the pressure system was that it was difficult to light.  I had to turn up the nozzle heater very high to get it to light, then turn it down once it was running for a bit.  I never did get it fully automated, starting and stopping on its own.

In the end, I wish I would have spent the money on a siphon system right off the bat.  The CKburner kit works very well and fits nicely into commonly found Beckett burners.

Is there a reason you dont want to go the siphon route?  My initial thought was that they siphon system was more elaborate than I wanted to get into.  Sure, you have to have the float tank, an air source, etc... but none of it is too difficult to get working.

As for the cartridge heater in my pressure system, I used a Vulcan TB388A.  I ordered it from Grainger.  If you do a search for the model number at grainger.com you will find it.

The PID I used had a built in relay, so basically it was just to run power to the controller, and run power to the cartridge, using the connections on the PID similar to how you would wire a light switch into the circuit.  You can think of the PID as a switch that turns on and off as it meets its temperature set points.

Hope that answers your questions.  If you have any others, just let me know.

Thanks,

Russ

Mschindler300

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 03:53:52 pm »
I completly Agree with Russ I had started a pressure burn got it to burn 1 or 2 times then Bought CK Burner Kit and was burning the next day i got the kit. Since then I have been modifying that set up to be more effective and even easier setup for people getting into waste oil

If you can use a drill and hand tools I pretty confident that you can Use the CK kit and you will be Happy with the Results

tim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 05:09:28 pm »
Thanks for the info guys! thats kinda what i wanted to hear about the pressure system, heard too that it was finiky to get running, just wanted to save a little cash right now, guess ill start to assemble my parts for the syphon system, maybe try my hand at making a syphon nozzle, got a machinist friend that likes beer! Not intimmidated by the build at all, love a good project! Thanks again!

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 12:41:51 am »
I think that is for the best Tim.  I hear ya on the cost.  The preheater block was the biggie for me.  Pressure pre heater blocks are pretty easy to make.  The siphon ones look to be a bit more complicated.  Let us know how things work out!

bkb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 10:30:11 pm »
I have been running 2 pressure systems for some time. The first is a small forced hot air furnace for the garage going 4 years now. I have been heating the house and hot water with a EFM boiler for 3 years. I run around 275'F nozzle temp at 130psi with a FO head and .65 70W nozzles. I keep the 3 car garage 70'F all winter burning probably 125 gallons and the house burns probably close to 1000 gallons a year. The house does tend to brun up a nozzle every 2 months in the winter when its working hard but who cares 5 bucks and 5 min and its back up and running. The boiler requires a cleaning once a year and the vacuum does a quick job of it. I have never cleaned the furnace.

mignic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 10:47:03 pm »
Hi bkb, I built a pressure system with a beckett burner and the Mike idea sold on ebay. Wondering what kind of nozzle heater you have and if you could post some pics? Currently waiting on some nozzles but put probably 30 - 40 hrs on mine before I run out of oil and ruined the nozzle (I think). Seemed to burn fine but have never burned heating oil it's not even available here in W. Texas. According to what others have said I think I may need another heater nozzle block. Am running mine around 200. Pump runs about 160 lbs.

bkb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 03:00:10 pm »
No pictures. I used billet fuel rail for cars and a 500watt cartridge heater inserted into a hole i drilled below the fuel hole. Tapped the one end of the fuel hole for the nozzle and made a plate the same size as a F0 air plate that holds electrodes and photo eye closer to the flame. Both my systems are in very small combustion chambers the one only being 8" round so i need to keep the pressure at 130psi or the flame gets to wide and drips of the retention head, if i try and comp with a narrower nozzle the flame gets long narrow and smokey. I will try and snap a pic this weekend.

mignic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 09:15:20 am »
Thanks for reply, do you have a link or which fuel rail did you use? Sounds like an easy idea to me and how do you control the heater? Will a pid hold off the starting until everything is hot enough AND kick the heater off later if the eye kicks off the burner for some reason?     Also I am running a 20 micron filter and in the process of adding a 10 with a line heater in front of it. How well do you filter the oil?  I put some pretty nasty used oil in my tank.

bkb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 02:34:42 pm »
I have a pid that controls the heater and when everything kicks in. I have one of the newer burner relays that has alarm out contacts that kill the pid if it fails to fire. I have 4 260 gal totes to settle the oil over the summer, with a huge 10 micron filter outside the house that filters everything before it enters the house tank. Then i have another 10 micron filter after the house tank. I have never had a clogging issue with the pressure system. Fist year i started burning i was burning whatever i could get my hands on and it amazing what this thing would burn. I had oil with so much water it would kill a filter in 30min of running so i just ran it with no filter and the stuff looked like pure rust water. Burned nice and never had an issue after burning 270 gallons of it. Actually kind of doing the same thing now, i have 200 gallons of rusty water stuff that has no resemblance to oil and its burning right now. http://www.rossmachineracing.com/dash6.html

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 05:53:02 pm »

Hi bkb, I built a pressure system with a beckett burner and the Mike idea sold on ebay. Wondering what kind of nozzle heater you have and if you could post some pics? Currently waiting on some nozzles but put probably 30 - 40 hrs on mine before I run out of oil and ruined the nozzle (I think). Seemed to burn fine but have never burned heating oil it's not even available here in W. Texas. According to what others have said I think I may need another heater nozzle block. Am running mine around 200. Pump runs about 160 lbs.

Mignic,

Can you post any pic of your set up?

doug
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

doug

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 06:00:48 pm »
BKB,

How close or far did you locate the thermocoupler to the heating element in the fuel rail?

doug

mignic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 02:00:27 pm »
 Doug, I don't really have mine seup the way I want it yet. :-\ Towards the end of next week should have some more parts so maybe can get some pics then. I need to get my nozzles to clog less or I'll have to change setup. Below is link for plans I used.

http://gizmoplans.com/diy-waste-oil-burner

doug

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 08:01:39 am »
Mignic,

I'm curious about your "Mike Idea Sold On Ebay" do they help you with troubleshooting problems or any customer service?

doug

mignic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 04:23:44 pm »
He will give you some broad advice but generally just tell you that he is not an expert.