Author Topic: so winter approaches........... get building  (Read 8563 times)

tightwad nik

• The fire has been lit!
    • View Profile
    • Email
so winter approaches........... get building
« on: December 04, 2012, 01:13:15 pm »
with some sucess and some failures, ive purchased a chinese waste oil burner (bairan manufacture), it was £500ukp spent and came with everything i needed to retrofit this to any boiler, well ive built a hot air blower using all waste materials from my local junk/scrapyard, by using a propane gas cylinder on its side as the main furnace then an arrangement of pipes to make a heat exchanger/chimney, got a decent blower to get that air shfting 90 degree c air is lovely in my workshop, maybe a bit hot at times

Ive now dismantled the chinese burner down to nothing (my inquisitive mind), to see how it all works, ive tried to copy it without success, it would light but only if i heated to nozzle up, so tried to use nozzle heaters. But still though if our chinese friends can do it so can i. the part i needed was the nozzle, whilst any siphon nozzle works to an extent, the right nozzle makes it so easy, this nozzle isnt any standard nozzle, apart from having no markings or numbers, it also has 2 "o" rings, which no-one could identify, so i bought 1. £20 later it seems to flow far better,

got a couple of PID controllers, one as a spare the other to keep the oil at 85 degrees c in the header tank

Just bought a decent TIG welder (expensive toy), 1st job is a heated header tank  from 1mm stainless, went well, all done, 1 weld was dodgy  rest went well (first go at tig welding)

Sump tank with grid so i can do oil changes and leave filters to drain made, a couple of tiny leaks easily blocked up, now  to mount the header tank and get it working

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 01:26:59 pm by tightwad nik »

tightwad nik

• The fire has been lit!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: so winter approaches........... get building
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 02:15:56 pm »
mounted the header tank, put the pid controller on, heated the oil, and switched it on, wouldnt light with 80 degree  oil, nothing, 90 degree nothing, 100 degree oil and we are off, starts up and gives a good flame, the oil pump that usually supplies the heating oil to the nozzle now keeps the header tank topped up, and should it get too full it has a overflow pipe back into the sump, so i need a bit of wiring so i can make the burner wait till the oil is hot enough, no alarm output on the pid, so finding another way

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: so winter approaches........... get building
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 09:18:28 pm »
Sounding Good Nik!

If possible, show us some pictures.  We want to see what you are up to!