Author Topic: What type of oil are you actually burning?  (Read 26591 times)

adrian

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
What type of oil are you actually burning?
« on: November 08, 2012, 03:06:18 pm »
Hello. I´ve been around here for some time now but didn´t really participate much. i do have a question which I think most of you could answer for me. To the point, are you exclusively burn used MOTOR oil, as in car/truck/tractor etc or does it contain hydraulic or gear oils?  And another question: my heating system uses a diesel(nº2 as you call it) boiler connected to the radiators around the house. Would it be posible to modify the burner to use oil? What kind of specs would you guys need in order to give me some advice about the subject? Thanks in advance!

tightwad nik

• The fire has been lit!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What type of oil are you actually burning?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 03:53:18 pm »
hi, welcome, the site is kinda quiet till the winter takes hold, anways to your questions, i personally burn any thing that resembles oil, if you mix it all together you dont need to adjust anything, if you use diesel or something thats a bit more flammable you may find you need more air to aid combustion, (boiler chuffs, like its gasping for air)and ANY oil fired boiler can be coverted, im changing a riello burner (simplest to change)to keep me warm in my garage, where abouts are you ????

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 08:36:46 pm »
Same as Nik here.  For the most part my supply is used oil from diesel engines.  I mix in any type of oil I get and it doesnt seem to make a difference, it all burns.

Besides the drip style oil burners, converting existing home heating oil furnaces is typically what people will do.  As Nik mentioned he is converting a riello burner.  Beckett burners are also quite common and easy to convert.  Can you let us know what type of burner is on your boiler?

adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 02:06:02 am »
Great. I have a yearly suply of about 200 litres of used oils(motor, hydraulic and gear oil). i´m from Spain, so all the chit-chat about brands is like alien talk for me. Maybe you´ve heard of "Roca", it´s the brand of heater I have. What do you mean when you say type of burner? I know it has a nozzle which delivers fuel like an injector. Basically, it´s a gas water heater that uses diesel from what I see and all the water is recycled with a small water pump. The plumbing uses 1,3 bars if that has something to do with anything. I was told that if I changed the nozzle I could burn biodiesel(due to the thickness and impurities the nozzle has to be wider) but I am wondering if I could burn oil instead. The winters where I live are not so cold, like it´s unusual to go below 32ºF (0ºC) so I think that the fluidity would be quite good. I am looking to understand the basics of what you guys do. I ain´t got no engineering degree, I have only some basic mechanic understanding, but I am a fast learner under good guidance, and it seems that you guys know what are doing. I´ve seen photos of such elaborate installations on here, so I am really impressed, but I was thinking of going more basic level if you know what I mean.  Anyway, thanks for the answers and I hope to hear from you soon.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 02:09:54 am by adrian »

tightwad nik

• The fire has been lit!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 08:06:28 am »
Ive just fitted a shop bought waste oil burner BAIRAN BRAND, to a oil fired warm air cabinet, and took the time to take note of how its done, its really simple, and Adrian you could do it without a degree, if you could get a riello burner i can literally talk you through the conversion,the only bit you need is a nozzle and you drill the existing holder to suit so no machining, and no PID controller or nozzle heater, get the cheapest,smallest deep fat fryer, and you have a heater element,controller (90 degrees),overheat switch, burner done

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 05:27:42 pm »
Nik,

I'd like to know more about your set up. It sounds real easy.

doug
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 07:30:29 pm by doug »
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

adrian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 02:47:14 am »
Nik,

I'd like to know more about your set up. It sounds reel easy.

doug

^^^^^ yeah, that!

tightwad nik

• The fire has been lit!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 04:43:52 pm »
ok here goes, the deepfat fryer keeps the oil at 90 degrees centigrade, and the siphon pipe is very short and held on the side of the fryer causing it to be heated by the oil etc, this also heats the nozzle, the nozzle holder is drilled and tapped with 2 holes one for the air and one for the oil, i was looking at having the nozzle threaded into the deep fat fryer, this would mean it doesnt have to be preheated and the level can be kept only 1cm below the nozzle.

doug

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 07:12:36 pm »
Nik,

That's a great idea. So simple yet very functional. Hope to see some pic of it.

doug

Cmdr. Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 11:27:42 pm »
SHALOM!

Hey Russ...
Some Spam trash got in when you weren't looking.
 >:( They be out of range, or I'd shoot 'em from the porch.
Ron
Shalom!
Cmdr. Ron

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 12:43:31 pm »
Darn, too bad they are out of range!  I'd certainly like for you to take care of them  ;).

Yea wow, had about 75-100 new signups on the forum.  All spammers.  Need to change the anti spam questions I guess.

jerry

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What type of oil are you actually burning?diesal
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 09:35:36 am »
hi guts im new at this   how to covert furnace from diesal to use wfo or motor oil it is a beckett burner 400 000 btu thanks guys

surplus 6

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 03:54:18 pm »
thought I'd pop a question in here as you're on about oils.
does this new fangled synthetic burn well in a furnes/boiler or is mineral oil better?
you're only young once, but immaturity lasts forever

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 10:12:38 pm »
I'm not speaking from experience here, but I think I have heard that the synthetic burns just the same as conventional.  Anyone else have experience with this?

doug

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 08:41:13 am »
I've never burnt just 100% synthetic oil but, I've mixed in some that I get from a friend.

I found this and I hope it answers some of your question.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/In_A_waste_oil_furnace_can_you_burn_synthetic_oil