Author Topic: Greetings & Intro in Fla.  (Read 7434 times)

Cmdr. Ron

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
Greetings & Intro in Fla.
« on: September 15, 2012, 04:43:28 pm »
Ahoy, Folks!
    The name is Ronald.  Please call me Ron, Ronald, or use my title / user name, Cmdr. Ron.
    No matter which, let's have some fun exploring & sharing information on the varied ways to put an otherwise wasted valuable fuel to good use.
    A few years back, I used new SVO in my Datsun diesel and learned the hard way it should be heated before it hits the injectors.  Waste Oil collection & filtering slowly crept forward with the knowing I could use it to prosper.
    Determined to not to be put-off by mere ignorance, I scored an old oil stove to fuel with nearly free waste oil.  They're becoming rare finds in Florida, as is the lack of folks who know much about them.  Every year the mercury drops into the 20 degree range, but most locals claim ignorance of oil heat, believing lies of minimal insulation, heat pumps, and open-front fireplaces. :-\
   The stove's ID plate was too obscured by crud to read until I brought it home and cleaned a few years of weather exposure to paint & install.  It was designed to burn kerosene, so it could take a bit more to convert it.  Either way, I choose to heat my house with it this winter.
    So it is that your forum has caught my eye.  The previous couple went a different direction.  Time spent searching archives and asking questions was not without benefit, but leaves far too many questions to set a pot of burning oil in the living room for heat.
    My apologies for the windy intro, folk.  Extra information from me now could eliminate time expenditure or be very fruitful.  With many years of thermodynamics & construction experience to share, I hope to be of help to you all.
Thanks. ;D
SHALOM!

Shalom!
Cmdr. Ron

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings & Intro in Fla.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 09:58:58 pm »
Welcome Cmdr. Ron! 

Glad you stopped by.  I am sure your experience will be valuable to everyone on the forum.

I hadnt stopped by for a while, but I figured I better as the temp is dropping.  Lots of new posts is great to see! 

I see you commented on some old posts and added some great info.  Appreciate that and hopefully we can get some good conversations going again this winter.

Enjoy the forum!

Cmdr. Ron

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings & Intro in Fla.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 03:58:55 pm »
Thanks, RUSS.
In some cases, I intentionally ignored the time spans of posts, in hopes to stir some of that meaningful dialogue before winter.
Not all boards function or operate the same, so if I step on a toe or two, just let me know - such be not my intent.  Like most folk, I'm here to find (and share) information.

There were a couple questions bridging topics, but at the moment ... uh, what was it?
Hmm.
Shalom!
Cmdr. Ron