Author Topic: Sooty smoke?  (Read 11949 times)

woodjointer

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sooty smoke?
« on: December 23, 2009, 12:14:10 pm »
  Will filtering oil help reduce the dirty smoke from my drip system? I climbed up on the roof to install a chimney cap  and there is a ridiculous amount of soot in my chimney, I could have grabbed a handfull of it! It is light and fluffy kind of like the soot from when you start an acetylene torch with no oxygen. hopefully someone else encountered this, i realize drip systems arent popular around here but I am on a quest to pefect this one, lol!
Free is better than cheap!

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Sooty smoke?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 09:11:52 pm »
Hello,

Sounds like the soot may be the result of the fuel to air ratio not correct.  I suppose you might always get some soot, but it sounds like you are getting a little too much.  I cant say that I have any kind of soot buildup with my pressure system.  It is probably a little harder to perfect the air mixture with a drip system.  Maybe someone with experience with drip systems can suggest something to try.

geo.smc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 06:52:33 pm »
mine is exactly the same  :o :o

geck0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 08:38:30 pm »
I just came to find this site for help for the EXACT same reason. I have a drip style i'd been using for a couple years and I can't seem to get away from the soot issues even exceeding 1000 degrees and double filtering. HELP this guy and me!