Author Topic: Can you use a Ranco temp controller?  (Read 11016 times)

WoodsBM1207

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can you use a Ranco temp controller?
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:24:53 pm »
Just wondering if it is possible to use a Ranco temp controller to control the pre-heater cartridge.  Or would just be easier to use a PID?  I am still in the gathering parts stage, exploring other ways to achieve the same result.  I will be burning WMO and waste synthetic rotary screw compressor oil using a beckett burner/weil mclain boiler.  All replies will be greatly appreciated. 

Here is the link for the Ranco Controller:  http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc111000000-digital-temperature-controller-p-86.html   ** It may not be this exact model, but something similar. 

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Can you use a Ranco temp controller?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 10:22:58 pm »
I have never seen one of these devices, but it sounds like it would probably work.  I found some more info on it here:
http://www.pexsupply.com/Ranco-ETC-111000-Single-Stage-ETC-Temperature-Control-w-Sensor-120-240V-Input-11627000-p

Is this like the one you are talking about?

WoodsBM1207

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 12:23:58 pm »
Exactly.  I think I'll give it a try.  It doesn't seem to be too complicated.  It might be a couple of weeks before I get to that point, but I will report back and let you know the outcome.  Thanks for your reply. 

steve

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 10:41:48 pm »
hi, i dont think a ranco will work cause when you power it up it sends power to the source untill it reches the desired temp you have programed so when the gun fires you could be down in temp and it wont fire, unless you leave the ranco on a seprate circuit so its heating the block all the time even when the gun isnt running, i would just worry that the oil will clog your gunver time