Author Topic: New Burnham Boiler Project  (Read 53994 times)

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: New Burnham Boiler Project
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2016, 09:52:14 pm »
No I really wouldn’t.  My fear would be the float not sealing off and waking up to a garage floor covered with oil.  I had a bad oil leak once already.  Never want that to happen again!  I still havent moved to my metering pump.  I tried it for a while, but I must need to put a solenoid on the line up to the burner because there was residual pressure after the pump shut off and the nozzle would drip oil and make a mess.  Do you have some sort of solenoid between your metering pump and burner?

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2016, 08:58:15 am »
i do have a solenoid shut off valve with in 3" of the heater block. I do get a residual drip also. i have the burner tipped up at the nozzle end so the unburnt oil runs back down the blast tube  then it drips out the oil supply hole into a catch pan. not the best system but better than the mess it makes in the burn chamber.
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

superduty_59

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2016, 10:36:18 am »
Do you guys think that the oil is seeping past the solenoid or maybe residual oil in the pipe from the solenoid to the nozzle?

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2016, 12:28:47 pm »
I am thinking residual oil from between the solenoid and the nozzle.  In my case, between the metering pump and nozzle.  I remember reading somewhere about a purge type setup where the solenoid closes a few seconds before the rest of the system shuts down to allow the pressure to be relieved.  I'll have to see if I can find that again.

superduty_59

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2016, 05:49:23 pm »
Russ there is a Honeywell safety control for Becketts that has a programable post-purge. Ithink up to 4 minutes.It help dry the retention head. Not sure if this is what you were talking about but this oil burner guy is funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vsiePKbH68&t=3s
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 09:42:29 am by superduty_59 »

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2016, 12:39:55 pm »
Ohhh yea, that is a nice control.  I might have to get me one of those.  It sure gives you a lot of control.

coldblooded

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2023, 09:52:36 pm »
I'm going to try this Thomas 2660 vacuum pump for my air source.  Matt (Mschindler300) is working on getting his burner attached compressor done, but in the mean time I wanted to get something quieter than my big compressor.  I was also having problems with my big compressor blowing the breaker.  Unfortunately everything is plugged into the same circuit, so hopefully this will prevent the breaker from blowing.  I have heard that these pumps (they work as a vacuum or compressor) will easily provide enough air for a burner.  I will report back how it works.

Hi Russ,
I was wondering if we could get a picture showing how you got the 2660 vacuum pump set up and any comments you have about it?  Was wondering if I should use a little tank with it or does it pump air straight to the nozzle and what's the max rating on the regulator you use?
Thanks!

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2023, 08:49:14 pm »
No tank, just straight from the compressor to the regulator.  I use a needle valve on a T connector coming out of the pump so I can bleed off the excess air.  The pump does produce more air than is needed, so you could add a tank and on/off pressure switch, but it was simpler just to add the T and needle valve.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2023, 08:50:31 pm »
The pump works wonderfully.  It is quiet and power efficient and produces more than enough air for the heater.  I would never think of going back to a full size compressor.