Author Topic: Project: Kerosene heater/oil drip  (Read 22980 times)

fireitup

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
Project: Kerosene heater/oil drip
« on: January 08, 2012, 09:34:33 pm »
Heres my heater that burns kerosene currently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=675UXqPC-vQ&feature=youtu.be

My plan is to mod it so that I can start the heater on kerosene and then shut the kerosene off or to low and start a oil drip system. I will post updates as they are created. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to achieve my desired end with this feel free to tell me. Thanks.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:42:25 pm by fireitup »

koolkris

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - koolistdude
    • View Profile
Re: Project: Kerosene heater/oil drip
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 12:30:55 pm »
i have a couple of those old heaters, on mine, the line that comes out of the carb had a tee with a plug, i just took the plug out and hooked in a hose that came from my meter pump, when i started it i put a cup of diesel inside in the pot and lit with newspaper and started feeding oil,after it got going and warmed up it had no smoke just heat wave out of chimney,
 the one i have has a cabinet around burn chamber, and has a fan that blows warm air out as well as provides combustion air
having a metering pump that you can adjust and maintain steady flow of oil is the key! using a needle valve to adjust oil flow does not work well as the oil viscosity changes with the temp of the room
does your heater have some sort of diffuser plate above the burning pot ? mine has one that makes flame swirl to burn better

fireitup

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 07:16:03 pm »
Thanks for responding with your experience. The heater pictured above does not have a diffuser according to the break down of the heater here,  http://www.buckstove.com/buckfiles/manuals/Buck-Stove-Tharrington-Oil-Heaters-Manual-(Rev-01162008)-NWC-Web.pdf . It is a model 8r35 at the end of that page. I was considering a oil dripper valve but understand what you mean by the temp in the garage affecting the ability of the dripper. I am curious what you mean by meter pump. How is oil supplied to your heater? Gravity feed or by pressure from a pump system of some kind? Do you cut the supply of kerosene while feeding oil?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:26:56 pm by fireitup »

koolkris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:52:12 pm »
i dont use any supply of kerosene, i dump about a cup into the pot to light and get started and thats all i use, i dont have any fuel going in the carburetor.
my metering pump is a small variable speed motor coupled to a small pump, so you can adjust the flow rate of oil. these are used on commercial  waste oil heaters, i will try to post a picture of my pump soon

koolkris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 11:00:48 pm »
do you have all the parts that the break down shows ? they call it a cumbustion ring, what happened to your cabinet? the break down shows a cabinet wit a fan, the fan helps push cumbustion air into your burning pot wich allows a hotter fire

fireitup

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 06:17:17 am »
That owners manual covers several model heaters. I dont have the cabinet model but the economizer model heater. If you look at fig 15. The last one on that page under the model number at the top that says 8r35, I have a combustion ring part (b)  but under the part they call a air diffuser (V), I dont have. It shows N/A.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 06:23:27 am by fireitup »

Cmdr. Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 04:11:59 pm »
Did everyone leave while I was in the head? ::)

KOOLKRIS -
 If you have time, I'd really like to see & hear detail of your stove.
 What's your typical fuel consumption?
 My 1960s Perfection Micro Pilot appears similar to the picture fireitup posted.

FIREITUP -
 I saw your stove on-screen elsewhere, maybe last winter.
 Glad you found some data to help.

Thanks, guys ;D
Shalom!
Cmdr. Ron