Author Topic: Hello everyone, I'm from Yorkshire, England  (Read 25391 times)

Alfie

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
Hello everyone, I'm from Yorkshire, England
« on: January 08, 2012, 06:10:25 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, and have found it interesting reading.

I've been building a heater with plans I bought from http://www.murphysmachines.com/waste_oil_heater.html

Has anyone built one of these heaters? The one I built I altered the design making it easier to access the burner unit.

Unfortunatly I have a problem in that the small air nozzle doesn't last long and keep blocking up and burning out upon shut down.

Any help, pics or advice on these heaters would be appreciated.   Thanks.

fireitup

• View Profile
Re: Hello everyone, I'm from Yorkshire, England
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 09:11:46 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 09:24:06 pm »
Welcome Alfie!

I have been to that site before, but have never investigated much further.

What type of nozzle do these units use?  Some kind of siphon nozzle, or pressure?

Alfie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 01:00:01 pm »
Welcome Alfie!

I have been to that site before, but have never investigated much further.

What type of nozzle do these units use?  Some kind of siphon nozzle, or pressure?

The nozzle is a 0.15 misting/fogging nozzle that air is blown through at around 80 psi.

Basically, oil is pumped through a pre heater, (in my case a 300w towel rail heater in a steel tube), then up into a overflowing burner neck. The over flowing oil returns to tank. Just below the overfow point is this small nozzle blowing air up through the pre heated oil pool, causing a vapour that is ignited and burns. Once up and running the pre heater isn't needed as the oil supply pipe is wrapped around the burn chamber, so is self warming. There is also a small fan supplying combustion air to aid efficient burning of the oil.

The system is similar to a babington design, and seemed to me a good idea, as dirt, bits, or even slight water content in the oil should cause no problems, but like I say the prob;em I've come up against is this nozzle seems to kind of over heat,and block frequently.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:04:20 pm by Alfie »

koolkris

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - koolistdude
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 11:03:53 pm »
there are several guys on youtube that have built murphy heaters, you might be able to ask them questions, also paul, the guy that made your plans you bought is always willing to help or answer any questions

murphys machines, 586-995-0101 10am-10pm est

Alfie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 05:36:45 am »
there are several guys on youtube that have built murphy heaters, you might be able to ask them questions, also paul, the guy that made your plans you bought is always willing to help or answer any questions

murphys machines, 586-995-0101 10am-10pm est

I have contacted murphys machines about this problem, and he suggested fitting a certain type of ss nozzle, which I did, but unfortunatly the problem still exists, and as he hasn't answered any more emails, so I guess he's at a dead end.

The small nozzle just doesn't seem up to 80 psi being constantly blown through it, and probably the small 0.15 hole soon becomes bigger as of this.

I was hoping someone may have come up with a stronger better design nozzle! (wishfull thinking!!)

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 09:40:32 am »
I'd keep pounding on Murphy's door untill I got the problem solved. You paid good money for his great plan. Get your moneys worth. He's got a phone number use it untill your happy.
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

koolkris

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - koolistdude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 12:41:07 pm »
i agree with doug, muphys selling point with his heater is (no nozzels to plug) does he recommend 80 psi ? that seems high, i have read several post from people that built his heater and never heard of nozzel plugging, i have talked to paul (aka murphy) more than a dozen times on the phone and he has allways been more than happy to answer questions

Alfie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 02:47:31 pm »
i agree with doug, muphys selling point with his heater is (no nozzels to plug) does he recommend 80 psi ? that seems high, i have read several post from people that built his heater and never heard of nozzel plugging, i have talked to paul (aka murphy) more than a dozen times on the phone and he has allways been more than happy to answer questions

Yes he recommends at least 80 psi, but realistically at that pressure through such a small 0.15 nozzle, it's not really going to stay 0.15 for long.

Believe me, I've tried all kinds of different nozzles, but they all wear out within 6 or 7 lightings of the burner.

If this problem could be solved somehow the design is great, and  as already said I've spoke with Paul on this but all he could suggest was fitting a ss nozzle from a supplier in US which I have done, but to no avail.

I really could do to speak to someone who's successfully built one of these heaters, but although theres a lot about them on the net, I still haven't found anyone who says, "yes I made one it works perfect"!!

doug

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 06:05:10 pm »
I still stand by my earlier statement. Either your not doing something right or there's a flaw in Murphys plans. The two of you need to work togather and make it right. Simple.

Alfie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 11:37:07 am »
I still stand by my earlier statement. Either your not doing something right or there's a flaw in Murphys plans. The two of you need to work togather and make it right. Simple.

I took your advise and I keep trying to email murphy, but it's hard and frustrating to sort a problem when I don't ever receive a reply from him!!...So it aint that simple!!

doug

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 11:50:00 am »
Sorry to be so rough on you. It looks like Murphy's machine and/or word isn't so good. Keep trying to contact him use the phone number and email. Doesn't seem to be anybody here that can help right now. Good luck and keep us informed.

doug

Alfie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 11:58:10 am »
Sorry to be so rough on you. It looks like Murphy's machine and/or word isn't so good. Keep trying to contact him use the phone number and email. Doesn't seem to be anybody here that can help right now. Good luck and keep us informed.

doug

Yes I guess I'll just keep on trying, although I really thought someone else but me would have had a go building one of these heaters, and maybe able to share experiences.

doug

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 12:18:26 pm »
Murphy's Machines web site state "tech support is just a phone call away 7 days a week". What do you get when you call them  with your problem?

doug

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 10:25:00 am »
Do you know the temp of your oil in the  pre heated oil pool? Am I to understand your nozzle sets below the oil level and if so is the level adjustable?
 I can't believe that compressed air is abrasive enough to increase the size of your nozzle with 6 or 7 cycles. Is the nozzle getting too hot?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 11:15:51 pm by doug »