Author Topic: Beckett AFG Burner Install opinions (PICS)  (Read 25848 times)

89CamminGT

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Beckett AFG Burner Install opinions (PICS)
« on: December 27, 2011, 02:50:02 pm »
Hey guys , im new to the forum. I joined because I am currently installing a Beckett Heater ("Inter-City Products" 85,000 Btuh) in my 3 bay shop and would like some tips or tricks...

I recently got this unit used and there is no manual or anything for it and this is all new to me. I so far hard wired a 110v 3 prong plug for it, so it can be plugged into the wall. I also have a 30-40 gallon container im about to put up today, as i was told this one works as a gravity feed. I am running 3/8 copper tubing with a lever-style on-off ball-valve .

I plan on burning used motor oil ,transmisson fluid and maybe cooking oil in it. As well as diesel or kerosene, which ever i have at the time.

I have read some need a Pre Heater for the oil so it thins out before it goes into the pump but not really sure i need this....

Here are some pics, still working on mounting the Fuel Container onto the wall and exhaust.

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:29:10 pm by 89CamminGT »

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Beckett AFG Burner Install opinions (PICS)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 09:12:01 pm »
Looks like a fine unit.  It should do the job for you just fine.

Yes, if you are going to burn things thicker than fuel oil, you will need to heat it up to get it to spray out of the nozzle properly.

Look around the forum and you will see ideas on how to outfit your beckett burner with a preheater.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Good luck in your build.

89CamminGT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 10:04:04 pm »
I have been reading some... but from what i see , a lot of people run new tips on the end of the burner body and utilize compressed air, something im not wanting to use. If i can get away with not using compressed air in any way then that would be awesome....

I have read where some have used a filter/fuel heater, and set it to about 160-175 deg and have good results....

89CamminGT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 12:09:46 am »
been working on it a little bit....

89CamminGT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 11:43:20 pm »
I got it working today!!! I had to use what I had, also I am not a carpenter of any sort nor have i ever messed with one of these furnaces before.

I am running a fuel filter off of one of my cars (3/8" Clear)... I Hope its ok, it works good so far. Also dont laugh at my REDNECK fuel tank please lol

Here some pics. I had to make new lines inside because the previous line was kinked and leaked when hooked up.

I also ran into one more issue which I am still working on fixing. The cover on the bottom, when on,  blocks all the airflow to the snailshell fan. I don't know if this unit was designed to be ran laying down or what. I also want to run a filter for it

Heater

New  Lines and Valve

Fuel Tank

Fuel Cell Fitting (inside)

89CamminGT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 11:25:04 am »
I purposely put the pickup as low as possible so it will have the most pressure in the line and so it will have to be pretty low to run out. I only use the heater when im working in the shop, which is not too often lately, maybe 2  -3 days a week.

If you still suggest I move it then I guess I will have to change plans and the plastic container is the only thing I could think of that was large and had a cover at the time...

Thanks Guys
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 07:42:57 pm by 89CamminGT »

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 03:59:33 pm »
Good to see the progress.  Interesting tank, but I guess it does the job  ;)

Are you burning fuel oil for now?

You are correct, the most reliable system is a siphon system.  But that requires a few key items.  Compressed air and a constant leveling tank for starters.  This was a little more elaborate than I wanted as well, so I just added a block heater to mine and left it a pressure system.  If you havent seen it, here is a link:
http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=36.0

The most difficult part with my system is getting it lit.  I have to turn up the heat quite a bit on the pre-heater and sometimes take a few tries to get it going.  It will start then slowly go out.  I think the block doesnt heat it up quick enough and the thick oil wont mist out the tip well enough.  After it is running and things warm up, then it is good to go.  I warm it up good in the garage, then shut it off.

If it were cycling on and off without me being there, it certainly wouldnt work.

Keep us updated on how it is working.

Stay warm!

89CamminGT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 07:48:15 pm »

Are you burning fuel oil for now?

Yes just Diesel for right now.

I had read a couple threads where they converted and needed new retention heads on the burner and larger nozzles as well as compressed air. That is just not in the budget right now...

BUT I also seen where some run oil as is but they heat it up to 160 or so before it gets in the pump...  I honestly get more confused the more I research

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 10:04:34 pm »
Not to be confused, as there are 2 different ways you can convert your heater.

1. Pressure system.  Requires a preheater to heat the oil to make it thin enough to spray through the nozzle.
2. Siphon system.  Requires a preheater also in addition to a compressed air source and constant leveling tank.

Both systems will also need a temp controller to regulate the heat of the preheater.  The pressure system will be the cheaper route, but not as reliable as the siphon system.

Hope that makes sense.  At any rate, you will need to convert your system to one or the other to burn waste oil.  The oil is just too thick to burn without a preheater.

89CamminGT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 11:55:56 pm »
Ok so to run the pressure system (budget orientated) I will need a metal fuel cell right?? Or can i run an inline fuel heater with the plastic cell? Also if i can do this, would I have to alter anything internal??

Keep in mind the most fuel this thing sees is 5 to 10 gallons at a time. Now if it can be made to run on waste oil then I will have enough to fill the container all the way up

Sorry for all the questions lol

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 01:07:30 am »
Please take a look at the link in reply #7 above.

Hopefully that will answer some of your questions as it is a pressure system just like you are looking to build.

No, a metal fuel cell is not required, although it is probably the safest.  I use a plastic 5 gallon bucket and it works fine for what I need.

You will need a preheater installed in your burner.  The oil needs to be heated just before it gets to the nozzle.  Do you know someone with access to a machine shop?  This will not be a simple job without access to a machine shop.  Again, take a look at my link above and you will see how the heater block was made for mine.

Hope that answers some of your questions.  Let us know if you have more.

89CamminGT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 06:34:04 pm »
I do have an old 80 lb propane tank i can convert.....