Author Topic: Waste oil from airplanes  (Read 14494 times)

naplis

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
Waste oil from airplanes
« on: December 13, 2011, 07:23:13 am »
Hello all,

I've been told that waste oil from airplane engines (reciprocal engines, not jets) tends to put off more soot and ash due to the aviation fuel's higher lead content than regular fuels.  Most of the fuel they use is called '100 low lead'. And while it's low lead, it apparently still has lead. 

To anyone's knowledge, is this an issue?  I imagine it shouldn't be, as the oil and the gas don't mix in the engine. But I think the guy who told me this was referring to small amounts of waste gas that the guys in the shop throw into the waste oil drums.

Thanks for your input.

Neil

Backwoods

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Waste oil from airplanes
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 11:18:24 am »
Hello all,

I've been told that waste oil from airplane engines (reciprocal engines, not jets) tends to put off more soot and ash due to the aviation fuel's higher lead content than regular fuels.  Most of the fuel they use is called '100 low lead'. And while it's low lead, it apparently still has lead. 

To anyone's knowledge, is this an issue?  I imagine it shouldn't be, as the oil and the gas don't mix in the engine. But I think the guy who told me this was referring to small amounts of waste gas that the guys in the shop throw into the waste oil drums.

Thanks for your input.

Neil

Na

Burn it, for me soot and ash is from a malfunctioning burner unit, not the type of oil used, with the strict maintanence schedules followed by aviation mechanics that oil is premo,

And the waste gas, Burn it, as long as there is enough oil mixed in with it, I dont know if there is a rule of thumb as far as the amount of gas in your oil but 10% gas wouldnt worry about it a bit,

naplis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 04:55:22 pm »
Thanks Backwoods.  Your advice makes sense.

If anyone else would like to weigh in, I'm all ears. Definitely would like to get additional opinions as well on this before going ahead and using it. 

Thanks all.

Neil
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 09:15:54 pm by naplis »

Backwoods

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 03:23:23 pm »
I did a little reading about lead in used oil,

there is a file called Used oil in Bunker fuel, and the allowable amount of lead is 100 parts per million, and 50 parts per million in CA

I dont know how your going to figer out how much lead is in the stuff but as long as its less then 100 parts per million,

Burn it !!!

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 08:08:08 pm »
And even though the planes burn gas with lead, how much of that really makes it into the oil?

I would think the exhaust from the plane would contain more lead, but then again they are usually in the air when it is being burnt.  Or since it is lead, does it fall fast to the ground...Ha!

draginmopars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 10:12:27 pm »
Been burning waste oil from plane for a while at work (Air craft salvage), in the hangers
very goood oil due to maintences hours

even burn it In our Plane shop, at home..

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 06:53:03 am »
DRAGINMOPARS,

Welcome to the site. That's a great plane shop.

T/Ake cAARe, doug
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

Cmdr. Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 12:15:48 am »
Fuel (& the lead it contains) does mix with crankcase oil in reciprocating internal combustion engines, though it is normally in very slight amounts.
Compression and oil control rings prevent most of this undesirable mixing, but not completely.
    During overly fuel-rich conditions, traces of fuel mix with the film of oil clinging to cylinder surfaces.  If an engine is "flooded", most oil is washed off cylinder walls and puddles around the pistons.  (In extreme cases, it "ponds".)  Before firing, some diluted oil is pushed past the rings on compression strokes where it mixes with the oil in the crankcase.  Worn or damaged engines let more of this occur.

Draginmopars,
That garage is outrageous . . . a grand idea, sir.
What sort of plane had a fuselage that fat?  A C-130?
Shalom!
Cmdr. Ron