Author Topic: Hello from Forestport, NY  (Read 7122 times)

teched

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hello from Forestport, NY
« on: December 30, 2011, 03:50:52 pm »
Just want to introduce myself.  My name is Ed Moore and I live just on the southwestern edge of the Adirondack Park in NY. I like to putter with old stuff.  I had to build a new garage to hold my projects.  I made a 24x60x10' Pole barn.  I had to donate 24x20 to my wife to park her car in, but the remaining 24x 40' is mine to play in.  I covered the walls with 7/16 OSB and vinyl siding to match my house.  I did not insulate the walls but I did put 6" of Fiberglass in the ceiling.  I heated it last year with a 60,000 btu kerosene salamander.  It took the edge off, but still only 50 when in was 10 outside.  I had a old wood furnace in my bacement when we baught the house.  The previous owner changed to Fuel oil fired Hot water boiler system.  They left the furnace in the bacement because it was very heavy.  I thought this year I would drag it out and set it up in the garage.  I ran into some $ issues when I priced the tripple wall pipe.  About $100 per 3' was a little out of my price range for my garage.  So in the process of looking for cheap pipe I found the MEN stove and I was intrigued.  I have done some research and think I am going to give it a try.  I am thinking about setting up a drip system in my wood furnace.  I will post some questions in the near future.  Thanks in advance -Ed.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Forestport, NY
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 10:16:38 am »
I think you are on the right track.  Waste oil provides some serious heat.  And it will be vented heat.  I used to use a salamander burning propane, but the fumes almost killed me.  No more unvented heaters for me... just too dangerous.

Good luck on your project.  Keep us updated!