Author Topic: need help  (Read 10781 times)

davidhayter

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
need help
« on: November 09, 2011, 09:46:41 am »
Good day fellow metalcasters!

Im planning to improve my waste oil burner design, can i use a ordinary hair blower as my blower?

i thought, since the blower produces hot air, its easier for the oil to ignite... its like a pre-heating.

but what bothers me is that, can the hairblower manage to function/work than long? you an i know how a woman uses her hairblower and how we metalcaster use our "blower"...

im concern with the electricity it consumes. if the 'heating' part isnt neccessary, i could remove the heating element inside a blower but im afraid it would alter the voltage level or something.

anyway, this blower part is my main problem. i would be happy to read your suggestions and comments about this 'hair blower' substitute issue..

thanks and Godspeed our castings... :)

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: need help
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 08:44:32 pm »
I dont know about the preheating of the air going into the heater, but disconnecting the heating elements shouldnt affect the blower at all.  I'm would bet that the fan runs on normal household voltage and disconnecting the heating elements is just going to lower the power consumption.

As for how long it will last, that I dont know.  I would think that they have a pretty long life, but the continuous use in a WO heater might be a bit much.  Give it a try and if it wears out too soon you may have to look for a different way to move the air.

Good luck with the heater!

Backwoods

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 10:50:35 am »
Pre heating the air,

No need, Cold air is actually desired, More dense, has more O2 in it, to burn, as mentioned the blower portion would work,,

Cmdr. Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 01:39:16 am »
YES, remove the heating element.
Again, with emphasis, REMOVE HEATING ELEMENT and proceed with blower.
 - Removed, there is no way it can make unplanned contact with a live wire, which will still be 120VAC.
It won't blast you into another dimension or rip a hole in the fabric of space. ;D
Shalom!
Cmdr. Ron