Author Topic: Hello from Idaho  (Read 11395 times)

Backwoods

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hello from Idaho
« on: October 29, 2011, 12:34:43 pm »
Howdy Folks,

Name is Frank, and have been working with burning oil , researching and designing a burner, I didnt know there was a forum devoted to this stuff,

Over the years I have worked and reworked the system , and think I have a preety good design, my goal is to get it to run continues , 24 , 7 

currently working on some safety features, a hot off, and cold off, I mostly use car parts for the components, fans solenoids , ect,

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Idaho
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 11:06:10 am »
Looking good!  That looks like quite a setup.  Getting things perfected is always a little tricky, but when they work good, lots of heat!

Enjoy the forum and hope to see more about your heater.

Backwoods

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 02:54:00 pm »
Looking good!  That looks like quite a setup.  Getting things perfected is always a little tricky, but when they work good, lots of heat!

Enjoy the forum and hope to see more about your heater.

Thanks Russ, Yes lots of heat, after playing around with this I discovered the hotter the better as far as a clean burn,

Trouble is finding the components inside the stove to handle the high temp, I use very thick walled stainless tubes, but every season, have to change these components out ,

2 things I am considering is a Baked on ceramic coating or this fiberglass wrap for furnace components, for the Fuel delivery pipe, and refracting Cap,

The Flame itself is "White hot" the components get "Red hot" and the stainless holds up just fine till it cools off, then a layer flakes off, so one of the reasons to get it to run all the time
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 03:51:47 pm by Backwoods »

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 12:14:40 am »
Frank,
Welcome to the site. Very interesting looking burner. Can you give us details as to how your burner operates?
doug
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

Backwoods

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 11:11:02 am »
Frank,
Welcome to the site. Very interesting looking burner. Can you give us details as to how your burner operates?
doug

Sure Doug, as I have time will take more pictures and explain the components , its a gravity feed system, fuel is dropped into the injection pipe that is mounted on the stove @ a slight angle, as the fuel travels down the pipe it is intensely pre heated, the refracting cap redirects the flame back underneath the incoming fuel, there is a scraper motor, (the warn winch) that de cokes the pipe every half hour or so, set up on a unique timing system, runs for 5 seconds every half hour and cleans the pipe,

The forced air is just a heater blower motor off of a old Rig, that I can control the air flow,

thats the burn end of things,

Inside the stove is 60 feet of steel tubing coiled up that has coolant running thru it , 3 circulating pumps move the fluid back to a 798 square foot concrete slab 200 feet away,

a Radiant heat floor,

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 02:54:07 pm »
The winch motor was one thing I couldn't figure out what it might do. Looking forward for more information.
Wow! 200' that's a  long ways.
doug
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

Backwoods

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 03:34:48 pm »
The winch motor was one thing I couldn't figure out what it might do. Looking forward for more information.
Wow! 200' that's a  long ways.
doug

Yes 200 feet, I think that I read somewhere you want to limit the travel to 150 but with a fuel supply that folks give me, Why not ?

The winch motor is a new set up, I used to run the scraper or de coke shaft with a windshield wiper motor, it worked okay but sometimes would still plug up,

The winch motor was a broken piece of junk, had one of the planetary ring gears loused up, so ground off the gears and only operating it off of 1 planet gear, so it spins preety fast, and shakes and knocks all the coagulated junk that builds up in the delivery pipe,

the timer, It works off of  a little air compressor off of a car that had air ride suspension, hooked to a pressure switch, I can control the bleed off of the compressor to get the desired 1/2 hour bleed down, and when the pressure switch is engaged it powers a starter solenoid it takes it 5 seconds to build from 90 to 125 giving me my "Run time" on the scraper,

I know that I could build a electronic timer but not that savy, on that stuff, and its just junk kicking around, Actually the whole stove itself was pulled out of a scrap pile,

I just finished and in the process of testing running off a normally closed solenoid, that is powered up by 3 thermal switches, Redundant high temp off switches  , and 1 90* cold off, so far so good although I may have to open the solenoid up a tad more, been drilling the orifices to get the desired burn rate,