Author Topic: Ash Disposal  (Read 11558 times)

pdc6437

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ash Disposal
« on: October 18, 2011, 07:13:56 pm »
Can anyone direct me to, or inform me of, any governmental (USA) regulations regarding the disposal of the ash from waste oil heaters?  I am currently burning used engine oil in a professionally manufactured heater consuming approximately 2000 gallons per season.  It is generating probably 10 gallons of ash or residue per season.  What is the proper/environmentally friendly/legal method of disposing of this bi-product?  Does anyone know of any documented health risks.  I guess this is rarely addressed since the range of possible contaminants is endless.

pdc6437

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ash Disposal
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 09:59:39 pm »
I am guessing that this is taboo?  Not a single reply?  Or is this a dead forum?

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 10:53:00 pm »
Probably just a dead form.  It gets a little more active as the winter goes on, so keep checking back, maybe someone will reply. 

If I were to dispose of mine, I would put it in the garbage.  The garbage ends up in the incinerator.  So it would get burnt again.  Kind of re-fried beans...HA!

stubborn66

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 07:39:23 am »
We were checked by EPA once where I worked and as soon as they saw that we burnt our used oil for heat there were no more questions about that waste.  To reduce 2000 gallons of used oil down to 10 gallons of ash is a good bang for the buck I would think.
As a far as health concerns I would not handle it without gloves but then again we are not supposed to handle virgin oil without gloves either.  I would also avoid breathing it in.
Curious as to why you asked, are you having an issue?

pdc6437

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 09:02:58 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I am currently not having any issues.  Just wanted to make sure I am in compliance before there is an issue.  I hate surprises from hidden regulations.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 09:43:26 pm »
Good question.  If you end up finding any official information on disposing of ash, or even for burning waste oil, we should make it a sticky topic on the forum.