Author Topic: New Guy / Switch to Waste Motor Oil Topic  (Read 10944 times)

tricyclerob

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
New Guy / Switch to Waste Motor Oil Topic
« on: October 21, 2011, 08:51:51 am »
Good Morining,
I'm new here but I notice there are very few posts in the "Drip" section, and the majority of discussion takes place under the topic of "Waste Motor Oil".
I know forums tend to have their own protocol, and I don't want to rock the boat but should I just post in the waste oil section? Seems the discussion there covers all different delivery systems.

That aside, I notice with coverting a fuel oil burner, the combustion air is generly preheated.
Is this necessary with a forced air drip system?
I was going to use outside air for combustion to avoid having  heated air from the room, going up the exhaust stack.
Is this a bad idea?
thanks,
rob jones

stubborn66

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Guy / Switch to Waste Motor Oil Topic
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 06:51:08 am »
Hi
I have a comercially made drip system and it just uses a small fan to force air into the combusiton chamber. It draws the air from inside the room. I would use inside air because outside air on the coldest of days may lower the temperature in the vaporizing pan too much to get good clean burn, if not go out.

another good idea on this unit is the oil tank is on the side of the heater which thins out any thick oil asit warms.  Then the oil goes through a needle valve and a gear pump to meter the delivery.  The only thing the manufacturer recomends is if you burn straight fuel oil to adjust the needle valve so as not to over heat the burner.  All other oils can be burnt with the needle valve fully open.

Good luck

Cmdr. Ron

• View Profile
Re: New Guy / Switch to Waste Motor Oil Topic
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 04:52:19 pm »
Take 2 - WiFi failed, all data lost again

TRICYCLEROB -
What did you do?

The question of outside combustion air has been pestering more as install of the dripper nears.
I agree (BIG time) with it for users of large air volume - wood & coal stoves & furnaces.
Without turbo-charging them puppies, oil stoves use far less air. :o
  Therefore, they should send less up the stack - maybe.
I have wondered for years why the makers never convinced the fire code folk to let them use 4" stacks.
 It could be they make just enough heat that's hot enough to "enhance" chimney effect to the point that it is justified.
 - We be talkin' 20- & 30-degree weather, not sub-zero.

Thanks
Inquiring minds be wonderin'.
Shalom!
Cmdr. Ron