Author Topic: secondary heat exchanger  (Read 11908 times)

Seabee

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
secondary heat exchanger
« on: January 18, 2011, 05:55:46 pm »
Ok Ive been losing a lot of heat out my exhaust stack .Ive been thinking about adding another tank  to the top to help catch some of the heat . My old wood bruner had one on top and it helped a lot .My exhaust stack is around 400 degs . Ive been thinking about maybe a 15-25 gal tank . I saw a air tank off of a large truck that looks like it may be what I'm looking for . Any one tried this yet ?

unabomber

• View Profile
Re: secondary heat exchanger
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 04:36:11 pm »
more surface area more heat. remember these heaters use draft so too much may remove too much heat from the stac thus reducing draft. i would double the size of the tan you are using now. most of the 55 gal drum heaters use 2 drums. thin about a clean out for the upper one. 

Seabee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 04:59:53 pm »
I'm going to try a small tank and maybe a fan to blow across the top tank . I'm still going to see if I can think of something else to try first .I've may even try puttting a small tank standing straight up on the end and using it has part of my exhaust stack . I've got about one more month of cold weather to use it and after that i can start taking it a part . I can start trying diffrent things with it .

unabomber

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:39:06 am »
my heater has steel pipe running through it . i can tae enough heat out of the stove that the draft stops. with the set up you are gonna use i dont thin you could pull enough heat off it to stop the draft. my stac temps range around 150 degrees f unless i over do it on the fan and slowly the draft stops and smoes out the shop

farmer0_1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 12:30:10 am »
my shop stove is a barrel style on the bottom and when the top barrel rusted out i used a fuel oil tank 225 gallon on end.  looks terrible but wow the heat.