Author Topic: exhaust  (Read 12910 times)

techdif

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
exhaust
« on: January 11, 2011, 02:11:16 pm »
Hi Guys

My dad and I were talking the other day about stack placement.  I realize for optimum non-assisted flow the stack should be straight out the top.  Pop has mentioned adding an exhaust fan to the end and routing the pipe along top of shop.  The theory being to allow the stack to radiate more heat before it exits.  Any ideas or experiences?

Ryan

'Look where you're going not where you've been"

unabomber

• View Profile
Re: exhaust
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 05:52:27 pm »
run it straight out the roof. the exhaust of a oil burner has some nasty stuff in it. at some  point the fan will fail causing many problems.... my two cents worth.

techdif

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 10:25:18 pm »
Yeah I've about done decided straight out the roof is gonna be easier anyway just thinking about all the wasted heat.
Ryan

Cmdr. Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 08:20:51 pm »
Run it through a propane tank or two as part of the stack.

Where's the penny coin slot on this thing?
Shalom!
Cmdr. Ron

techdif

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 01:32:32 am »
I finally elected to go through the wall, just not very fond of roof leaks, repairs, heights in general. But I did engineer a couple of heat shields for the corner it's in with a small house fan mounted on the ceiling above it. Not my best shot but it helped. The shields are about 4'x4' pieces of commercial roofing screwed to a couple of pallets. After I saw the heat they were catching I then stuck a heavy duty fan where it would blow into the corner around the heater, now we're cooking!

As you can see in the attached photo it was 49f outside and a comfy 71f and rising inside.  Don't forget this is an unpainted block building with ZERO insulation. Pleased,,, no doubt, I love it!
Ryan

Cmdr. Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 09:25:52 pm »
10-4 on those roof leaks, double.  I be chasin' lesser ones with Cool Seal until I can do it properly.

Warm is good.  Glad to hear you "got it goin' on."  Have you run it long enough to get a feel for fuel consumption?  I ask everyone about mpg, hoping to hear one of you rascals ahead of me is doin' it on less than 1 gal/day.

Please remain calm.  This is NOT a thread-jack.
  It's none of my business, but if you can swing the time involvement to wrap that shop with a thick blanket, wind & rain should stay outside, and it will require less heat.  With papercrete & earthbag construction, my un-built barn is much nearer.  Insulation is important.  40 - 50 years ago, most buildings in Appalachia had none.  I was 14 before even hearing of it.

Inquiring minds are bangin' their heads.
Shalom!
Cmdr. Ron

techdif

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 10:23:04 pm »
Nah not even concerned about mpg on this booger.  Burn baby burn!  I'm not in the shop much and I have 50+ gallons on hand and access to recycle container at a bonafide garage. I'd like to lean it up a bit but that is just for the neighbors not for mpg!
Ryan