Author Topic: May need bigger tubing ?  (Read 12484 times)

Seabee

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
May need bigger tubing ?
« on: January 10, 2011, 01:59:14 pm »
Ok my waste oil heater is not getting very hot .It was getting around 350-400 deg and then I changed my oil flow valve to a bigger size and now its getting up to 500-525 deg but its not heat my shop .My shop is 30' wide 34 'long and 15 'tall . My old heater wood/oil would heat it up great . Its about 25 deg today and my shop would not get above 40 deg .My old heater would get it to 75-80 deg in about 1-2 hours.My waste oil heater would not get above 40 deg after 4 hours. I think i may need to change from 1/4 OD oil line to 3/8 OD .More oil should mean more heat i hope . My heater is 21" around and around 48' tall .I know what most Roger Sanders heater are taller than mine and small around too. This water heater tank was gave to me . Ive made my burner bigger hoping it would put out more heater but still just not getting really hot . My old wood burner would get around 700-800 deg . I need to get my shop warm I've got work to do and I'm getting cabin fever here in this house!

unabomber

• View Profile
Re: May need bigger tubing ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 03:40:25 pm »
how much oil are you using ? there are only so many btu per gallon. i use waste motor oil.  heat a bigger shop and use about 3 to 4 gallons a day granted not to 75 degrees but 65 is plentywhen its 20 out. measure the stove temp and stac temp ...gravty feed ? 

Seabee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 04:35:37 pm »
It used about 2 gals in 4-5  hours and that was with the valve open all the way . The heater was running around 500-525 and the exhaust was running 300-350 . Its  gravty feed also. I can look down intake tube and see its a small stream of oil flow and good size fire but with stove so large I dont think the flames are touching the sides of the metal .Now i did make my burner 10" and it should be able to handle more oil cause it has A  small puddle 1-2 inch wide .

unabomber

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 08:06:30 pm »
2 gallons in 4-5 hours probabally not enough fuel to make the heat you want. roughly 60000 btu an hour at that rate if you can harness all the heat and your not judging by your stac temp ....my stove is set up differently. external temps vary 200 to 600 and stac temps are  150 or less no smoke. .. i say add more oil and you also may need more air.... hope this helps

Seabee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 06:48:06 pm »
Ok today I changed out my copper tube to 3/8 OD  and boy did that help !! Now I'm getting some heat from this thing!! My gauge was reading right at 700 deg !! Its using about 1gal of oil ever 1-1 1/2 hr .The side of the heater was starting to glow red !!It took the temp. in my shop from 40 deg to 55 deg in 1 hr .I'm going to still try to fine tune it some more .

cannon2002

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 07:37:30 pm »
Souds like most het going up the chimney. Try puting a damper in stack.More oil will run rich and smoke.Harness more of the heat produced for shop.