Author Topic: Ash & Exhaust Contenet From Burned Waste Oil  (Read 13121 times)

Whiteoil

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ash & Exhaust Contenet From Burned Waste Oil
« on: January 18, 2011, 04:41:24 pm »
I get frustrated with ignorance...it's entirely a curable malidy; vent is my antidote:

...When it came time to collect what I incorrectly thought would be easily attainable data regarding ash and exhaust content from burning untreated waste/used motor oil, I quickly learned there's nothing out on the web - at least with my effort. Commercial system producers claim they don't have the data  - thanks of course to the moral hazard created by the EPA, however as a side note, if I were producing these heaters, you can bet I'd have the data, and use it as a competitive advantage via "my better designed heater" or whatever the reason would be.

If anyone has any analytical, QUANTITATIVE, NON ANECDOTAL content data, I would be super grateful if you'd help me out.

To those who just don't embrace the importance of it but can be persuaded,  the following is for you:

1. Who cares?

Does "oh man, the sky is falling dude, who wants to live forever" resonate with you? Then 2. is just for you:

2. "It doesn't matter 'cause Ashly the asphalt maker, and Quigly at Quick Lube use it and they're not dead!"

To those with 1. tendency: The person who is sticking their face in the ash to remove it. Heavy metals? Any other life abbreviating stuff in there we should know about?

2. You know what? You are right! Make yourself an ash and Snickers Vanilla Flurry, and let me know how that works for ya in a few years.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: Ash & Exhaust Contenet From Burned Waste Oil
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 06:55:57 pm »
I split this into its own topic, as it is probably a good discussion on its own but doesn't necessarily pertain to the building aspect of the sanders heater.

Dead Eye

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 02:41:46 pm »
 The answer is simple, Can not be done  If you give a sample of oil then the results can be made known by lab or whatever.  The term waste oil is due to the fact it is contaminated with unknown items. Manufacturer can not say that the burners burns to within a certain specification unless the oil specification is defined.

techdif

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 11:54:17 am »
Is it just me, or does it sound like whiteoil has a problem with burning waste oil?
Ryan

'Look where you're going not where you've been"

tightwad nik

• The fire has been lit!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 04:50:50 pm »
but whats this got to do with projects and pictures, and long live burning old engine oil, i breathe in the fumes in the hope i get cancer by my own means