Author Topic: Clean burning?  (Read 20036 times)

Putt

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
Clean burning?
« on: December 21, 2010, 10:08:01 pm »
I'm a drip burner fan because I like being able to heat off-grid. This will be my 3rd year on what started as a Sanders conical. Sanders' goal was easy cleaning and he accomplished that but I just could not get what I considered a clean burning heater with it. I studied Spikes burner which I think is probably very efficient and clean and came up with some modifications to the conical that turned out to be a big improvement in efficiency and cleanliness both on the burner and out the stack.
Do any of you drip guys experiment with different types of burners? I like what I have so far but I think it could always get better. What do do you guys think? Can you make a drip heater burn clean?

techdif

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Clean burning?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:48:22 pm »
I am working on the MEN updated skillet burner myself.  So far I'm so not impressed with the way it burns.  I got fair amount of heat but the smoke was terrible.  Oh well I'll be tuning on it later in the week, gonna up the pre-heat and add a fan.
Ryan

'Look where you're going not where you've been"

OILHEAT

• View Profile
    • Daniel Tree Farm
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 09:31:05 pm »
Hello PUTT, I ran into same deal with the sanders type stove, easy build, easy clean, throws lots of heat and likes its oil. Also throws lots of soot out the chimney. My closest neighbor is a quarter mile away so it bothers no body but me having black "soot" flakes on everything outside if there is no breeze to rid of it.

I have tried different things to help fix the soot out the flew, wich have all been in vain. So I have started on the ozzirt or spike style drum stove. Mine will have half of an old water heater tank insted of break drums.

Mine will vary a little from the ozzirt/spike design such as mentioned above, but definitely a much more efficient burner design or should say burners, having two chambers where actual burning happens, unlike the sander design.

Here is a pic of the start I have on the secondary burner. All parts so far have been salvaged from my own and other bone yards also. Free recycling for free heat.

The secondary burner is all john deere parts. The piston liner from a 640D skidder wich as I found out by accident, can lay a beautiful welding bead with regular wire. And the disc is from a Jd mulch tiller. Gathered enough of both to ensure a good parts inventory for when the time comes to replace items if needed ;D  

Pic shows disc/liner assembled and before cutting and assembling

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 09:33:22 pm by OILHEAT »
Used oil is beautiful

OILHEAT

• View Profile
    • Daniel Tree Farm
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 01:02:07 pm »
Been a little while, but got things done. Finished my version of the Ozzirt oil stove. Had some time off so this project got a lot of attention, and still is in refinement ;D

Didn't snap many pics during assembly, I was focused mostly on the build.

Only thing different I did was to make a third "burn chamber" inside the water tank with a liner and a some inch plate steel. Reminded me of a church bell the way it turned out.

Pic is of the thing full throttle and ready to launch. Had some issues with getting it to burn clean as in little to no smoke visable, but did achieve very negligible smoke. My burn pan and lid not being all the way air tight played heck with me on the clean burn, as did the right amount of holes in the liner. I found just having a couple rows of holes at the bottom only was the way to go. Upper holes were a bad idea, they just seem to kill the draft an hinder the clean burning. 
Used oil is beautiful