Author Topic: my heater build starts 1/12/10  (Read 14183 times)

tightwad nik

• The fire has been lit!
    • View Profile
    • Email
my heater build starts 1/12/10
« on: December 01, 2010, 04:00:34 pm »
right im bloody cold in my workshop/shed, and so im going to be making a simple heater burning waste oil, so lets get the pictures going

this is the start

cut a hole in the top, which will be the bottom

Got me a brake drum welded up the holes, and amazingly it fits snugly onto the gas bottle,

More pics to come as i proceed

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: my heater build starts 1/12/10
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 10:10:20 pm »
Lookin good!!

tightwad nik

• The fire has been lit!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 04:50:30 pm »
No more pictures at the moment, but i will be using a becket gun to supply an adjustable air using a rotary dimmer switch, and then hopefully using an adjustable oil pump i can meter the amount of oil, ive had a test fire and it runs bloody hot already, more pics tomorrow hopefully

tightwad nik

• The fire has been lit!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 02:55:41 pm »
right its all finished, in fact ive had it running for about a week now and man does it kick out the heat, ive had it glowing when i crank it up,i havent taken any pics but will do some drawings incase someone wants to copy it

tightwad nik

• The fire has been lit!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 03:31:07 pm »
right i'll try to explain how ive done it, as you can see i found a drum from the back of a car i then had another one slightly smaller that fits together like a clamshell,
ive drilled plety of holes in the top drum to spread the heat around and to make sure that the drums heat up and keep the oil nice and hot,i put a dirty rag and some cold oil in the bottom, light the rag then put the drums together then i offer it up from the bottom and then i have a catch to keep it held up tightly,
i let it burn for about 2 minutes and take a look down the airhole at the top , as soon as i see its taken hold i switch on the air and open the oil tap, and away she goes, roars away,
when it goes out i lower the clam shell and clean it out, but as it burns so hot i only get a fine dust in the bottom no hard crud,
really easy to keep it clean and all the hot stuff is kept well off the ground, im going to pump the oil in eventually so i can have greater control and i also need to move this heat round my workshop, it gets to 300 degrees c easily,
im going to make a shield around the fire and have a fan to blow the lovely warm air around, cheers for the motivation and others projects to take inspiration from

Dead Eye

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 05:08:37 pm »
 Looking good nik. Thanks for the update.

How will you go about the metering pump?  On the altfuelfurnace group there are a few people using a standard gear type pump driven by a dc gear motor (about 300 rpm I THINK) and a pwm supply to control the speed.

D.E.

Pilot5517

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 10:05:16 am »
Hey Nik, what blower are you using?

Thanks,

Paul

tightwad nik

• The fire has been lit!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 03:58:04 pm »
i have a becket gun to supply the air, and has the oil pump bolted on the side ive checked the pump and it will pump waste oil happily, so i'll put a needle valve on the output, as the pump has a ball valve to stop over pressuring, i'll keep you guys in touch of how it goes

tightwad nik

• The fire has been lit!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 04:11:47 am »
ive had it running yesterday in my 6m x 5m workshop, outside was -7 degrees C and inside i was down to a t-shirt, i think its a bit of overkill, so i switched the blower off and then adjusted the oil flow right down and it continued to maintain a nice heat all day, got a bit sooty inside though so i blasted it with some air to get the fire fierce again before shutting it down for the night.