Author Topic: Getting enough waste oil to run the house  (Read 13254 times)

naplis

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
Getting enough waste oil to run the house
« on: December 22, 2011, 05:31:31 am »
Hello all,

Coming up to speed on burning waste oil in the house is some odyssey.

Latest issue: securing enough waste oil.

The airport guys are good with allowing me to use their waste oil. But I need backup in case they ever change their minds.  Trouble is, all others that I've asked are concerned about giving theirs to me because of the "cradle to grave" responsibility they have. And I can't give them anything for their records showing it was disposed of properly. So they sympathize but dont' want the headache.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? If so, what did you do to allay concerns and get some reliable sources of waste oil to burn at home?

Thanks,

Neil

Backwoods

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Getting enough waste oil to run the house
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 11:33:43 am »
Neil,

I have run into the same situation, the larger companies are usually inclined to have professional recyclers come pick up the oil,

Even pay for the service, So what your best bet is is find smaller outfits, Logging operations, small mechanic shops, Transmission shops, if they do not burn the oil themselves they are all to happy to get rid of it,

There are some transportation issues that you may wish to look into , for instance you need special permits to transport more then 100 gallons, in 1 container,

Its okay to have more then a 100 gallons if in separate containers, So 55 gallon drums,

or so I have heard,

naplis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 07:37:25 pm »
Hi Backwoods,

Thanks for your feedback.  In your own case, does it add up to a lot of time and a big pain in the arse to collect 10 gallons here, 20 gallons there? 

Thanks also for the regs on transporting the oil. I'd likely just use one 55 gallon drum or several larger gas cans so I can move them myself w/o needing a hand truck.

Backwoods

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 02:27:19 pm »
No, as far as it being a pain in the ass,

It all adds up, and you will find if you get set up and put the word out folks will bring you oil, thats real nice, as far as enough oil ?

I have been wondering what a average consumption rate would be ? how much stock pile you would need,

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 09:07:20 pm »
Backwoods is correct on finding the smaller outfits.  I know an owner/operator of a semi and the guy does his oil changes himself.  With collecting over the summer, I have more than I can burn from this one person.  Now I dont run my heater continuously, so you might burn more than I do, but I am sure if you check around you can find as much as you need.

I transport all of mine in 2.5 gallon jugs.  I have a rotation of about 20 of them that seems to work pretty well.

Good luck in your search.

naplis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 04:50:20 pm »
Been away from the computer for a few days. Thanks to each for your replies.  I have found two bus depots in the area and will be approaching them shortly as well. One's run by the State, so I'm not too optimistic on this one. But the other's private and may not mind letting me siphon off 50 or 100 gallons once in a while. And like you said, this plus others' 20 or 50 will add up.  I need about 700 gallons per year total.

Thanks again.

Neil

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 07:18:21 pm »
Got a call today about a marina with in five miles from my house that has used waste oil and went to see them this afternoon They have twelve 55 gallon barrels of used oil they want to rid of and they generate about that much each year. With this find and what friends and a trucking company gives me I've a pretty good supply of wmo for now and into the furture.

I would have never though about a marina to get oil. Keep looking there's plenty of used oil out there to be found.

doug
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 10:44:52 am by doug »
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0