Author Topic: man, that was easy. Siegler burner  (Read 29995 times)

shmo

• Gettin' the fire started!
    • View Profile
    • Email
man, that was easy. Siegler burner
« on: October 24, 2010, 08:32:30 pm »
i got this siegler keorosene (?) burner today. it has a carburator with floats etc. it is drip fedits own onboard fuel  so i thought i would just try it with waste oil.

didn't work.

tried removing the filter for faster flow.

didn't work

thinned the oil with gasoline

didn't work

bypassed the carb and used the petcock as flow regulator

worked great!!

i realize its not as cool as building your own from scratch, or heavy mods of a furnace, but man was it easy. if you ever see one.... grab is my advice

the whole thing took about one half hour.

Russ

• Administrator
  • Master Oil Burner
    • View Profile
Re: man, that was easy. Siegler burner
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 08:32:24 pm »
Interesting heater.  Thanks for the pictures!  Could you post more of it burning?  Are you using it just as a drip system?  Does it burn clean out the stack?

Thanks for the post!

Russ

doug

• Can't stop the fire now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 08:20:19 pm »
I think it's cool.  Can you tell us more details about your conversion. I've seen these heaters on craigslist pretty cheap.
You can't put it on the internet if it isn't true!

http://wasteoilheaterforum.com/index.php?topic=102.0

shmo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 02:27:24 pm »
the conversion was simpler than i'd like to admit. i just bypassed the "carburator" and went direct into the pot. the oil trickle inthe pot on the bottom, so its not really a "drip" style. from what ive learned here and at MEN, it shouldn't work as well as it does. since there is no preheater, and it is basically vaporizing from a puddle instead of a spray or a drip. maybe that's why it takes so long to establish draft. (about 10 min, is that long?)

the pics don't do the flame justice, because it doesn't burn nearly as well with the door open. with the door shut i can see that the flmes are blue near the air ports.

also i haven't finished my flue yet. you can see in the pic. that is directly west facing too. that caused it to go out yesterday. i don't think it will be a problem once it is vertical and back draft protected.

you can also see in a pic that one burner is broken. i bought a brake drum from the auto bone yard for some cast to fix it. and i am missing the piece that sits on top of the 5 legs. does any body know what it looks like, so i can make one. probly out of  a 5" floor drain cover.

oilguy

• Hello
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 12:49:30 pm »
get a hold of me i can help with burner, yr missing the top burner plate, too.
Have fun in life and stay warm.